Master Chen Zhonghua Online Lesson on Apr 16, 2021 - Kelvin Ho
Common mistake in push hands:
- Shoulder tends to come up and have power (wrong).
- Kua tends to go down and not have power (wrong).
- Machine-like: When something is wrong, it can't continue.
- Human-like: When something is wrong, compensation will be made to allow it continue incorrectly (in a way that is not part of the original design).
We want our actions to be machine-like.
- Concept: Two parallel boards separating from each other.
- Lock the hand, open the armpit, so the hand goes out against the side ribs.
- Don't move the kua here, as the movement there is 3 times that of the armpit. It will throw the torso off.
- No rotation in this exersise. This stretch can only happen within a short distance, otherwise, our body will start to rotate.
Periodically, we have to revisit all we know about the taiji, and don't believe what we have. Use different ways to test and verify it. In order to make progress, we have to believe that we are right. In order to break the particiular level, we have to believe that we are wrong. The theory is empty and never wrong. Whenever we materialize it, we make progress, but at the same time, we are wrong. It is like, we have to make something, and destroy it, make it again, and endlessly repeat this cycle, and refine our taiji. If we don't materialize it, it is not real.