Teaching Notes for Richmond Hill Class on Mar 4, 2017
We worked on a few different moves in the form today. The first 3 moves required standing on one leg.
- White Ape Presents Fruit (Drilled 50 times on each side)
- Kick with Right/Left Heel
- Turning Flower out of the Bottom of the Sea
- Punch to the Groin
- Punch to the Ground
- Turn Over Body and Double Kick
After Punch to the Groin,
- Open left kua.
- Stand on the left leg with knee bent, raise right knee. The same height must be maintained through this move.
- Set up the right fist in front, and line it up with the left elbow. Make sure that the right elbow is also in that line.
- Lock the structure, throw the left shoulder backward to propel the right fist forward (no movement on the right fist, arm or shoulder) along the line established in 3).
- The extension of the arms are done with two positive circles. Open the arms from the middle of the chest.
- The high fist and the low heel need to line up at 45 degrees.
- After full extension, the arms and leg must come back, and make sure that body must still be stable.
- A common mistake is that the power does not reach the end points, but is stuck somewhere along the way, e.g. shoulders, elbows.
- See http://practicalmethod.com/2017/02/turning-flower-out-of-the-bottom-of-the-sea/
- We drilled the other side this week
- It is the same as Punch Covering Fist except that the fist points lower to the groin.
- As part of the double negative circles, unlike Punch to the Groin, both hands are together like holding a flower to the right side of the body.
- The double negative circles continue to make the right fist point to the ground, and the left hand up to the left ear height with the left arm stretched out.
- The right fist is powered by rotating the central axis, and not by bending the upper body down.
- After Punch to the Ground, there is a right elbow strike. Do not stand up for the elbow strike, the lower body remains at the same height as Punch to the Ground.
- Pivot on the left heel, and turn around about 180 degrees such that the right foot is then forward.
- Proceed to the double kick with the left kick first, and then the right foot kicking the right hand.